Two tone hair extensions are great for showing off your unique personality and creativity. Have you ever wanted to try wearing or installing two tone extensions? We’re willing to bet that you have, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this!
Two tone hair extensions are exactly what they sound like, extensions using two different hair colors. Either you can get one extension that transitions partway down it’s length to a different shade or you can get two different colored extensions and do an install using the sandwich technique. Tape in extensions make it simple to add color, plus two tone extensions look great! A win-win!
How to do it:
1) First, read up on our tutorials on installing tape in extensions here.
2) Pick out two colors of hair extensions that you feel will look good together. Colors that are similar to each other will be more subtle while colors wildly different will, of course, give you a wilder look.
3) Decide which color you want to be more visible.
4) You will use the sandwich technique. Take the extension you want to be more subtle and install it underneath a section of natural hair.
5) Once the first extension is in place, install the extension you want to be more visible on the top side of the natural hair. In case you didn’t catch it, it is called the sandwich technique because you are sandwiching a section of your natural hair between two tape in extensions.
6) When installing the second extension, make sure the edges are flush and matched with the first extension. You don’t want them slanted or their ends will extend past each other, making care more difficult.
7) Apply heat to the tape for one second to help set the tape and increase its hold.
8) Continue this process as you see fit.
9) DON’T WASH YOUR HAIR FOR 24-48 HOURS! It will risk undoing all your work. Tape needs a little time to set. Once it does, it works great and feels very light.
10) Admire your two tone hair extensions and how beautiful they are! Notice the jealous stares of those not bold enough to try this sort of style and most importantly, have fun!
*As always, make sure you know what you are doing before trying this. We highly recommend seeking out professionals to do extension installs.*